Conundrum Part II

22 Apr

Let me begin by explaining the last week of my pregnancy to you.

On January 1st, we were in Manhattan visiting a friend. We had come out to the City to see Monty Python’s Spamalot on Broadway. (Highly recommended by the way!) It just so happened that it was New Year’s Eve. We walked out of Bill’s apartment, watched the ball drop, walked back inside and eventually went to sleep. I woke up a few hours later to pee, and was surprised by a gush of fluid that ran down my leg when I awoke. At this point I thought I had lost control of my bladder and I was just embarrassed not worried yet. I drank some OJ, felt the baby move and went back to sleep. When I woke up an hour later, it happened again. Again another hour later. (You get the picture). We woke up Bill and took a cab up to NY Presbyterian Hospital. They took a look at me, said my AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index which is a number measurement of how much amniotic fluid you have) was 20. Not high, but not in the danger zone. They also did a pelvic exam and took a pH test to see if my water had broke. The concluded that it had not, but to be safe they recommended that we go home and get checked out by our doctor. They also mentioned that the baby’s head was pushing on my bladder and I was probably just experiencing some incontinence. (An excuse I would hear many times over the next week). By the time we ate (because I was starving) and get our stuff together it was about 2 pm. We decided to stay the night and go home the following morning. We figured that it was better to be in a city filled with good hospitals than taking the two hour train ride back to our car and driving through podunk New York when something might happen.

So, next day, we went home. I’m still getting gushes of fluid when I get up at night, but they’ve slowed down and aren’t as terrifying now.Called my doctor. They could fit me in for an exam at their office and an ultrasound the next day. They did the ultrasound and the AFI was 13. Sounds like a big drop to me, huh. Apparently not to them. They explained that they baby moves and can affect the number and that it’s really very subjective. I had been having issues with low fluid my whole pregnancy and they weren’t concerned. They did a pelvic and a pH test. Told me to go home, baby was pushing on my bladder.

Next day, still gushing. Call the doctor. Maybe it’s a UTI. I go in, give a urine sample, pelvic, pH test. No your water hasn’t broke. By now, it is Wednesday. I have missed the entire week of work. I tried to go in for a few hours and ended up leaving because I felt so awful.

Thursday, call the doctor. The tell me that I don’t have a UTI, everything is fine. We’ll see you in two weeks at your next appointment(another statement I heard repeatedly during this week).

Friday. I feel really awful. Sometime in the afternoon, I pass my mucus plug. I freak out. I call the doctor and get a REALLY bitchy nurse. She starts off by saying “Meehan, I see we’ve seen you every day this week.” I tell here that I think I passed my mucus plug and that I think I might be having contractions. She tells me that I had four pelvic exams that week and I was probably just bleeding from those. Then she asks if my belly is getting hard. Because, if I was having contractions my belly would get hard.

Now wait a minute. I’ve had pelvic exams every time that I’ve been in since like 15 weeks. This is due to the fact that I had multiple risk factors and all these problems. NEVER had any bleeding. I told her this and she didn’t seem to be concerned. She told me to rest and they’d see me in two weeks at my regularly scheduled appointment.

Um…no. Yeah, I was in labor. Big time. Brian made a few more phone calls to friends and they advised us to call the doctor and go into the hospital to get checked out. (Thanks Joanne!!!) We called the doc, went into the hospital and guess what? I had NO amniotic fluid around the baby. Yeah, cause my water broke SIX days earlier. Um, and bonus points, I also had a fever and infection because of it.

We changed hospitals, they induced my labor and at 10:30 Saturday morning we had our beautiful boy. All 2lbs 12 oz of him. It was awful and terrifying for awhile, but he’s practically perfect now. 🙂

So, that’s mostly the bad. I still have some reasons why I’m unsure whether or not to change practices. But, this post has gone on long enough so Part III will be coming soon to a blog near you.

Stay Tuned!


Posted by on April 22, 2007 in General, Help!


3 responses to “Conundrum Part II

  1. Kellie

    April 23, 2007 at 8:19 am

    I still, 15 months later, get a knot in my gut when I read about what you went through. It sucks, but….baby boy is beautiful and doing SO well!! Even though I know 90% of the story, I’m still hanging on for the rest 🙂

  2. Kurt

    April 24, 2007 at 4:27 pm

    That’s some lousy and unconcerned service. Unless I read something significantly good in the 3rd post, my vote is for leaving them. But then, I’m a guy, and therefore my opinion on what you should do OBGYN-wise counts for very little.

  3. Kelly M

    April 26, 2007 at 11:39 am

    OH wow….yeah I think i would definitely change practices. Either that or write a letter to explain how you were treated and report the nurse! That is swful!! Definitely get out of there!!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: